Reclaiming Our Nation’s Disconnected Youth
Join the #KidsWin Rally!
America’s youth are facing critical times. Today there are an estimated 6.7 million disconnected youth ages 16 to 24 that are unattached to school and work.
Join our social media rally to raise awareness of the existing gaps in youth services and the need for federal policies to support communities in reconnecting youth.
Get involved. Here are three things you can do:
- READ about the problem. Share the Infographic.
- RALLY on social media about the importance of this critical issue.
- PLEDGE to become a mentor for a disconnected youth or young person at risk of disconnecting from school and work.
One in six young people between ages 16 and 24 are unattached to school or work of which 3.4 million are defined as being “chronic” having no attachment to school or the labor market since the age of 16. Dropout recovery and reengagement is a national matter with deep implications for our economy, local communities, and young people themselves.
Get informed. Read more about the issue of disconnected youth. Share the Infographic.
- Find out about the economic value of disconnected youth. Read the research analyzed by Civic Enterprises
- Hear what people across the country are saying about disconnected youth. Read the report created by the White House Council for Community Solutions.
- Learn about what the long-term youth jobs gap means for America. Read the Young Invincibles report.
Now that you know what’s at stake, join the rally and share about why this issue is important to you, your community – and the nation at large.
Help us raise awareness about the issue of disconnected youth and make the case why policymakers must invest in education and workforce development programs that support this population.
Simply tweet with the hashtag #kidswin and share about why this issue is of critical importance to our nation's future.
- Join the #Kidswin rally & help yng ppl stay on track to success in school & work http://ow.ly/dMuLF
- INFOGRAPHIC: What will it take to reconnect our nation’s youth? Join the #KidsWin Rally http://ow.ly/dXM4u
- Did you know that 6.7 million youth are unattached to work and school? Share the infographic: http://ow.ly/dXM4u #KidsWin
- 1/3 of U.S. students never graduate from high school. Let’s support disconnected youth and help #KidsWin http://ow.ly/dMuLF
- 1 in 6 young people btwn ages 16-24 are disconnected from edu & work. Join the rally to help #KidsWin http://ow.ly/dMuLF
- A disconnected youth imposes a taxpayer burden of $235,680. It makes economic sense to help #KidsWin http://ow.ly/dMuLF
- The unemployment rate of 16-24 year olds is 2X the overall unemployment. Let’s help #KidsWin http://ow.ly/dMuLF
- Did you know that 6.7 million youth are unattached to work and school? Join the #KidsWin rally TODAY http://ow.ly/dMuLF
Send a Facebook Post
For the 16-24 age group, approximately 6.7 million are currently disconnected youth. These youth are unattached to school and work. These youth impose – on average and compared to other youth – an immediate taxpayer burden of $13,900 per year and an immediate social burden of $37,450 per year (2011 dollars). Join the #KidsWin Rally and learn how you can support this population: http://ow.ly/dMuLF
Research shows that mentoring can play an important role in helping young people stay in school and on track to success in college, career and life. A caring adult can provide the needed support to help a young person find a pathway to a productive life.
Join United Way’s initiative to recruit one million new volunteer readers, tutors and mentors. Pledge to mentor a young person who is at risk of or has disconnected from education and work.
Change won't happen without you. Pledge to become a volunteer reader, tutor or mentor.